Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The start of something new!

Okay well maybe it is the start of the same old thing, but school has once again started. It is a little more challenging this year as I have 3 kids at 3 different grade levels.  The D-man is in 4th grade, which makes me a little nervous as we are getting closer and closer to the high levels.  I am not afraid of teaching the higher levels, I am just concerned about him not getting the things he needs in the lower levels to be successful in the higher levels.


Crab man is in 1st grade, although he hasn't learned to read yet.  We are working through Spell to Write and Read, and we just started it this year, so he hasn't gotten to the read component yet. He can memorize the Bob Books, but he isn't really learning to read them using the sounds.  So I have decided to wait on those for now.  I am taking the Spell to Write and Read seminar to learn how to teach it in a few weeks and I am hoping we can get more fully into the program after that.


Arnold is in Kindergarten and preschool.  Yes both, we do Kindergarten at home on 3 days a week and the other 2 days he is in a parent organized co-op.  That means he gets together with 4 other boys at one mom's house each week.  It also means every 5 weeks I have to host 4 more boys and teach preschool for the morning.  I really want him to have this interaction and time with other kids, but it does impact our school week with running him to and from preschool and then teaching my turn.


Sweet Baby has become much more of a problem this school year.  I can't turn on the TV and let him veg while we do school because our downstairs is so open and I don't want to let him wander upstairs because who knows what he will get into.  So I try to keep him occupied with toys and color books at the table with us.  Thankfully he still naps most days and we get an hour or more of baby free time.

So we will see how the school year goes and what happens

No comments:

Post a Comment